Windows to our World

Monday, August 8

I've Started Flying!

Ok, not really flying in the air, but I joined FlyLady.org and she is helping me to get my house under control again. I've got toys and magazines coming out of my ears. The mail is piled on the kitchen table along with various printed recipes I found on the internet that I may never use, etc, etc....

I admit, I have lost control of what is in my house and it is a very unsettling feeling. I love the feeling of walking into my home and not seeing papers that need filing or toys under the sofas.

I discovered FlyLady a few years ago while reading a magazine article about How to Declutter your Home. She is a real inspiration and keeps me on track by sending me 15 e-mails a day! A sample mail may be - "Do you know where your laundry is? Take 15 minutes to fold and put laundry away" or "Spend the next 10 minutes emptying your trash bins".

She also breaks the home down into 5 different "Zones". This week we are working on Zone 2 - The Kitchen. Besides the basics like "reclaim your kitchen sink" and "throw away 27 things to declutter" there are things like "Clean the microwave inside and out" and "Wipe fingerprints off walls". Every day there is an optional "Mission". Today's Mission is to "Scrub down your counter tops, I don't mean to just wipe a rag across them! I mean you get some hot soapy water and you wipe down the counters from front to back and side to side."

Yes, 15 e-mails a day are A LOT, but you can choose to receive 1 condensed mail a day instead and because my computer is on ALL DAY LONG and I check my mail several times a day, the separate mails work better for me.

I have been following her routines for 5 days now and there is a marked improvement already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home